The Victim Assistance programme in South Sudan was supported by United Nations Mine Action Office under the chairmanship of the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare and Co-Chaired by the South Sudan Mine Action Authority.
The Victim Assistance Disability Working Group has been formed by national and international NGOs, UN agencies, national associations of Persons with Disabilities, national commissions and line ministries.
The Victim Assistance Programme has the following objectives:
- To coordinate the existing services for the mine/explosive remnants of war (ERW) victims and persons with disabilities through the Victims Assistance Working Group
- To empower the Ministry in the coordination role
- To formulate the disability policy
- To promote sports activities in collaboration with states associations of the persons with Disabilities and State Ministry of Youth and Sports
- To promote self-reliance for persons with disabilities
UNMAO organized a capacity building training course for both SSDA and the MGCSW staff to enable them gradually take over as UNMAO phase out 2012-2014.